Sunday, May 31, 2009

Blame it on the Fertility Drugs

I’m a bit perplexed by Bonnie Sweeten blaming the fertility drugs that she took more than 17 months ago on her recent behavior. Sweeten is the Pennsylvania mom who allegedly called 911 saying she and her daughter had been carjacked and put in the trunk of a car, but actually they went to Disney World.

Anyone who’s been on even the mildest fertility drug, let alone those of us who have been on the hard core fertility boosters, understand that they can alter your mood – and usually it’s not for the better, though I’m not sure that they are strong enough to cause someone to commit a crime.

I actually maintained a pretty even-keeled mood most of the time that I was injecting those beefed up hormones, but I once had a major meltdown in the bathroom of a roadside rest stop. Jack Bauer and I were driving up to Chicago to visit some friends, and I needed to do a quick change from my shorts and T-shirt into my going-to-dinner outfit in the restroom.

The problem was that the skirt I brought ended up being way too tight across my back end (another result of the drugs was weight gain, which unfortunately didn’t go to my boobs, but my behind). I launched into a monumental fit – one that would’ve made any of Kid Rock’s or Tommy Lee’s public outbursts look tame.

Luckily or unluckily, we were able to make a detour to Bloomingdale’s to buy a tablecloth-sized skirt to cover my rear end, and I continued to sob over the fact that I was buying such a huge size.

When we showed up at our friends’ house, they were more than sympathetic to my red and puffy eyes and sullen demeanor. They had also been through the IVF route conceiving their darling kiddos.

Have fertility drugs ever made you do something out of the ordinary?

1 comment:

  1. Luckily my trusty, mild 100mg of Clomid had no effect on me... I think. Maybe I should ask the hubby. I'm enjoying reading your blog. You and The Nest are constantly in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete