Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Appalled about adoption

There have only been a few times in my life where I have found myself at a loss for words. And this is one of them. I'm absolutely disgusted and sickened by the actions of the family that adopted the 7-year old little boy from Russia, and when he proved difficult, they put him on a plane and sent him back.

As a waiting adoptive mother of a toddler from Vietnam, I am especially troubled by this not only because of my concern for the welfare of that child, but for that of orphaned children in Russia and other countries that may be waiting for parents in the U.S. This incident is likely to have a negative impact on future adoptions worldwide.

Please sign this petition to President Medvedev and President Obama advocating that U.S.- Russian adoptions should continue. There are thousands of children waiting for their U.S. families and they shouldn't be put at risk because of the unconscionable acts of one person. There are tens of thousands of children all over the world being kept in orphanages because of political quagmires and unfortunately, our son and 16 other children in Vietnam are some of them.

http://www.gopetition.com/online/35485.html

8 comments:

  1. yeah when i saw this story in the news I was like did i hear right? sad, sick lady. i sure hope the poor orphans in russia do not suffer and are not able to be placed with loving, sane families in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that political issues are getting in the way of adoption, both international and locally, but from what I heard the adoption agency didn't release the information that the child was emotionally disturbed. Since I've been working with the ED population for the past 3 years, I feel like I've seen how hard this life can be for everyone involved, and she had a child at home to think of as well. Unfortunatley there are tons of children with special needs who need adopting and many people don't have the heart or the resources to adopt them, but that information should made available before the adoption. It is unfair to the child to put them in a home were a parent is unable to meet their needs.

    Good luck with your international adoption.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The story about the child being sent back really is scary, and I can understand how intense it must have been to hear about it, since it really hits home for you. It's just awful that they sent him back...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting this. Great blog, can't wait to read more. I'm your newest follower from IComLeavWe.

    -K
    http://mypottyseat.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this story yesterday on another blog, and all I can say is that I hope the woman involved is prosecuted for child endangerment (at the very least)! It breaks my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there! Came here via ICLW. My husband and I just decided we're going to pursue adoption in lieu of IVF, and we made this decision literally the day before this story broke. It has certainly colored our initial thoughts on adoption, but it's amazing how strongly it resonated with me as a potentially adoptive parent one day, about how ridiculously unfair this is to those families whose adoptions from Russia aren't yet finalized. Thanks for posting this- I just signed the petition.

    Happy ICLW!
    ~Miriam (ICLW #59) Hannah Wept, Sarah Laughed

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah that did suck big time. happy iclw, miss ya.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree I hope this ugly situation doesn't interfere with future adoptions from the U.S.

    Happy ICLW!
    (#70)

    ReplyDelete