Thursday, March 4, 2010

Extolling the 'benefits' of Erase Paste

I don't use my blog as a way to shill products, but I have just happened up on something this week that I think all infertilies and crazed waiting adoptive moms should not live without.

Unfortunately, most mornings I wake up and look like I have two black eyes. The dark circles are impossible to ignore, even with the use of heavy duty concealer. I wish I could blame it on the fact that I was a boxer (and one that doesn't guard her face very well), but that's just not true. Most of the time, it's a result of crying or a lack of sleep from worrying about our adoption.

Since our journey of trying to have bio or nonbio children is reaching its sixth year, I am no novice to trying to disguise my lavender-hued undereyes. I have tried concealer after concealer - ones that come in lipstick-like tubes, creams, wands, pots, one that even had a spatula-type tool for maximizing the coverage. My make-up drawer looks like the graveyard for all inferior cover-up products (I have a hard time throwing away anything only used a few times).

So, last week I decided enough was enough. I was tired of hearing people tell me I look tired. Clearly, my current concealer wasn't doing the trick, even though it was given a very positive review by a magazine and it took several weeks to order because they sold out of it at the salon. I had high hopes for that one, but it turns out it was for amateurs. I was ready for the big leagues. So, I went to the mega make-up mecca of Sephora and begged for someone to take pity on my two-toned face. In fact, I told her I'd pay some major bucks (just shy of some cosmetic surgery) in order to get rid of my disfigurement.

Luckily, I found a wonderful sales woman who was more than willing to give me a couple options to try. The first two barely dulled the purple half moons, but she was undeterred by the challenge of my ultra-dark rings. Then a ray of light shone on one of the cases: Erase Paste by Benefit. Even its name sounded promising (besides I love alliteration and rhyming). I was actually looking for something called Under Eye Spackle, but it doesn't exist.

Anyway, she delicately patted some Erase under one eye and it was as if I had been Rip Van Winkle and had gotten 100 years of sleep. It dulled my horrific circles and even brightened the area under my eye. I was sold. I almost skipped to the cashier to buy my new-found miracle material. I thought about doing a before and after photo, but I don't want to frighten any children who may happen upon my blog with the before shot.

Even better, I learned that the twin sisters that started Benefit are from Indiana - major props for me. Hoosier girls unite!

Combine my beloved Erase Paste with another Benefit product, Eye Brightener, and it makes a huge difference. It's a lovely little fat light pink pencil that you can use in the corners of your eyes to make you look like you're more awake (trust me, all the celebs wear something like it).

I may feel like crap on the inside, but I will do my darnedest to make sure that you can't tell on the outside.

Bravo, Benefit!

5 comments:

  1. Oooo I like the name of that too! And, Sephora is freakin' awesome. I could spend hours in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am making a trip there this week! Love it. Hope your Nashville trip is fun! Talk to you later this week,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lu,

    I'm glad to see that you were able to find some make-up that works for you.

    I found your blog while searching for heartfelt and helpful stories while dealing with Infertility. I think your personal story could help those who are going through a hard time and looking for support throughout their journey with Infertility. Wellsphere's HealthBlogger Network (HBN) is comprised of over 3,000 of bloggers who support each other through 150 communities including infertility, depression, dealing with loss and adoption.

    For more information about joining, please visit http://www.wellsphere.com/health-blogger or email me at hua [at] wellsphere [dot] com

    Best,
    Hua
    Director of Blogger Networks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Benefit stuff - and they should so give you a lifetime's supply for this review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to stop by my Benefit counter. I mist try this. Thanks for the recommendation, lovely you!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete