Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Tiger moms, helicopter moms, what about the non-moms?

You can't open a newspaper or turn on the TV without hearing the big tiger mom versus "compassionate" mother debate these days. And, there's still a lot of discussion over the helicopter moms hovering over their children to the point of ridiculousness. Plus, there are soccer moms, working moms, freaky pageant moms, the list goes on. People love to categorize types of parenting.

I say: What about the non-moms? Not the women who gave birth, but are far from being a mothering figure in their child's life, but those of us who long to have children, who have tried harder than most to become parents, yet it continues to allude us.

Heck - I'd be happy if someone called me a tiger mom these days. Being a tiger mom is better than not being a mom at all. Am I bitter? Maybe a bit, but at least I recognize it and it's for a good reason.

3 comments:

  1. We all know that those in our category will end up being great mums, the best mums. If you are handed something on a silver platter, you never see it's worth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gonna try and be "cool mom"....

    if I get the chance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me think of this awesome poem (by anonymous) that I came across on the net (I re-posted it on my website): http://www.fertilitycoach.com/wp/emotions/wonderful-mother/

    I wish I knew who wrote it. I kind of want to give them a hug.

    ReplyDelete