Thursday, July 30, 2009

No Swine Flu Vaccine for You

So, I heard yesterday that pregnant women are going to be among the first eligible for the precious swine flu vaccine. (Side bar: Because the death rates for pregnant women is much higher than other sections of the population, I totally get the reason why, but let me have a little fun for a second while I rant about my infertility) But what about those of us who want to be pregnant, but can’t create our own little suckling. -- can’t we get inoculated?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not exactly freaked out about getting the swine flu. I just think it’s discriminatory to give a vaccine to someone just because she is lucky (and let’s face it, so much of it is sheer luck) enough to conceive.

I mean am I not worthy of getting a swine flu shot just because my womb is barren? It’s not like I chose to have fertility issues or did something to inhibit my fertility. I pay more than my fair share of taxes and have contributed way more out-of-pocket expenses to the healthcare system than the average 36-year old woman.

I think trying as hard as I have, as well as the millions of others of infertiles, should count for something. Heck, after the six cycles on fertility drug injections, I could probably even give myself the shot. I wouldn’t have to wait in line. The nurses could just throw me the vial and syringe and I could do my own. I could probably even help them inoculate the masses.

No comments:

Post a Comment