Thursday, September 3, 2009

Good morning, Vietnam

So, the other big news is that I'm going to go to Vietnam to help care for the babies in our orphanage, or at least I think I am. I've already bought my plane ticket to Ho Chi Minh City, but no other moms in our group have committed yet, and I can't go by myself.

There is still no resolution with the paperwork or Vietnamese officials to get our babies home, or word that we ever will. So, we're going in hopes that we're helping out with the care and development of the babies, many of which are already two years old, and maybe spread a little goodwill, too.

When this opportunity came up, I was on the fence about whether I should go. I was being selfish thinking how hard it would be to leave that sweet pea's precious face and how upset I would be. And, I still do worry about that, but outweighing that is the thought that if I can make even just a little bit of a difference, even just for 8 days, in these 29 young lives, I should do it.

So, I'll be packing up my anti-malarial and anti-nausea pills, a list of key Vietnamese phrases and extra Wet Ones and leaving for a remote little village at the Southern tip of the Vietnam peninsula in 7 weeks.

6 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to hear you are for sure going! Praying others sign up to join you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With all your new adventures coming up, maybe a new book will end up being written? :) Wishing you (and Nate) all the best on this trip and your move!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fantastic opportunity! Just started reading your blog and love your way of writing and dealing with life. Thank you :)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! How exciting, best of luck! We just received a referral from South Korea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing thing to be doing! I really hope that another mom commits as well so that you can go. It's a real opportunity to make a difference - I imagine it will be hard to leave, but 8 days much better than no days!

    ReplyDelete